For school, I have read six books so far. I'm going to go over them now.
March - The story is split into 2 books, well, there might be a third, but I only read the first 2. They are graphic novels about racial issues and the march in Selma. It's a really good story and I highly recommend it.
Robin Hood - These stories are timeless. They may not be the best, but they are entertaining.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - This story is a drug trip. Also, there is so much they left out from the Disney movie. I really enjoyed reading the book, but Alice drove me crazy. She told a story about her cat to a bunch of mice. They all ran away, then she wondered why they left. Wow, you can't get better than this.
Walk Two Moons -The early parts of this story were really boring. They even had an entire chapter about Old Faithful, where they spent page after page explaining how wonderful it was. Every chapter early on was the same, but once you had the last 70 or so pages of the book left, then and only then, did it get good. If you have a short attention span, I would say, don't read this. This books is like the worlds slowest oven. You wait and wait for your food to be ready, and when it is, you've already made yourself a tuna sandwich. Yeah . . .
A Single Shard - This book, Ok, don't even get me started with this book. Walk Two Moons, it set a precedent that said, "Here is the book, it's slow, but don't worry, it gets good." This book just says, "Hi, welcome to pottery 101." Not. Even. Kidding. This book spends the entire time just telling you about all the wonderful pottery this kid made. In the last 20 pages of the book, he goes on an adventure. Sounds good right? Wrong. The adventure is dull.
The Diary of Anne Frank - This book was a little dull, although you have to keep in mind, unlike A Single Shard and Walk Two Moons this wasn't a story, this was a diary. Since it isn't a story, you're just hearing about her day to day life, which is actually pretty interesting. So even if it dragged on a bit, it still is really good. It's interesting to hear about a Jewish person during WWII.
Well, these are all the books.
4 comments:
Now I think I want to make a tuna sandwich and eat it on a clay plate.
Great quick reviews of the books. Hopefully each has had something to offer you besides slow torture. :P That's how it goes sometimes, though. Glad there are some you've enjoyed.
Sounds like you need some more exciting stories this month. ;P Come on, you mean you didn't like the detailed description of the clay vase? It wasn't the most thrilling adventure, but I did like the character development of the kid and the potter.
I'm reading a play called "The Diary of Anne Frank" in school. It has sparked a whole unit on the Holocaust. We did a drill that was a re-enactment of what is would have been like to be "relocated". I have also been reading a graphic novel called "Maus". It is about a Jewish Polish soldier during the Nazi regime. I think it is really good and starts well. I haven't finished it yet, but I hope to.
It seems that most of your school books were pretty dry. I find it frustrating to have to Tell-tale Heart in out textbook but be reading about polls completed in 2005. Anyway, you can't win them all. Hopefully, you'll get to read some more interesting books. Good luck!
OMG, this is hilarious. I love this post so much! The whole time I was reading it, I could picture you having a "snarky book review" YouTube channel. Duuuuuuuuude, you could be so famous. Do it. Do it. Do it. Your first webisode can be about the peer pressure you experience from your mother.
I don't know where you get your snark.
I especially love your review of "Alice in Wonderland" and "A Single Shard." You have a hilarious perspective on things. I could read book reviews like this all the live long day.
Have you read "Maus" yet? The book that Shea Kaiba mentions? It's excellent! One of my favorite graphic novels.
Post a Comment