Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Drum and Bass

Recently I talked about the music program FL Studio. In that post I also talked about Electro Swing, which is one of my favorite genres of music. So I thought I might talk about my favorite genre of music now. Drum and Bass or DnB.

Drum and Bass is a genre focused on fast breakbeats; kind of like a constant drum roll. The tempo usually goes around the 175 beats per minute mark. I am a bigger fan of the more plucky DnB genre, rather than the dark one.



That's an example of the more plucky sounding one. Here is an example of a dark DnB song.


There are a good amount of sub-genres for DnB. One of my personal favorites is Drumstep. Which combines the fundamentals of both DnB and Dubstep. If you don't already know what Dubstep is, it's a genre in which the beat goes slow to makes the song seem fast. The bass hits on the 1st and 3rd beat. Skrillex is one of my personal favorite Dubstep DJs. I'm sure most of you have heard of him. Here is an example of a Drumstep song.


Hopefully you guys learned some stuff from this post, and maybe a few of you are DnB fans now. ;)

4 comments:

The Magic Violinist said...

I never would have noticed the difference in style between the songs if I hadn't read your explanation. Interesting stuff! I like the first song better, too.

Boquinha said...

Whoa. Interesting distinctions. How does that work - making the beat slower but somehow making the song faster? I listened to it and it really works, but how?!?

MinamotoHierophant said...

Quite a fascinating genre of music and one I am personally unfamiliar with. I actually kind of liked the middle "dark" DnB song, however I did enjoy the last Dubstep DnB the most of the three. I know you said this is your favorite genre, however is it your go to genre? For example, I love the crossover or elctro-orchestral genre however my go to genre is game soundtracks.
I like hearing about what you enjoy and how you explain these things to people who are possibly unfamiliar with them.

Siths and Jedis said...

@Shea Kaiba I would say I don't have a "Go to genre." I have a playlist on Youtube I listen to most of the time. It has a mix of different things and whenever I hear a song I like I add to it.

But if I had to pick a "Go to genre" it would be anything really. Sometimes I get in a DnB mood, sometimes it's Future Bass, and sometimes it's just the Undertale Soundtrack, it all depends on my mood.